Author Question: A school nurse is conducting a health education class for middle school girls. The nurse knows ... (Read 87 times)

rosent76

A school nurse is conducting a health education class for middle school girls. The nurse knows further teaching is needed if a student states:

1. I should begin to see hair in the pubic area before my breasts start to develop.
  2. I understand that girls develop earlier than boys.
  3. I understand that sexual maturity can vary as to when it occurs.
  4. The beginning of breast development is around 10 years of age for Caucasian girls.

Question 2

The nurse expects to administer an oxytocic (uterotonic such as Pitocin, Methergine) to a woman after expulsion of her placenta to:

a. Relieve pain.
  b. Stimulate uterine contraction.
  c. Prevent infection.
  d. Facilitate rest and relaxation.

Leostella20

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:
1. Breast development precedes other pubertal changes.
2. Girls begin to experience sexual maturity earlier than boys do.
3. Sexual maturity can vary with race and ethnicity, environmental conditions, geographic location, and nutrition.
4. The beginning of breast development is around 10 years of age for Caucasian girls and 9 years of age for African-American girls.

Answer to Question 2

B

Feedback
A Oxytocics are not used to treat pain. They cause the uterus to contract, which reduces blood loss.
B Oxytocics stimulate uterine contractions, which reduce blood loss after the third stage of labor.
C Oxytocics do not prevent infection. They cause the uterus to contract, which re-duces blood loss.
D Oxytocics do not facilitate rest and relaxation. They cause the uterus to contract, which reduces blood loss.