This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 35-year-old woman has an amniocentesis performed to find out whether her baby has a chromosome ... (Read 11 times)

tiffannnnyyyyyy

A 35-year-old woman has an amniocentesis performed to find out whether her baby has a chromosome defect. Which statement by this patient indicates that she understands her situation?

a. The doctor will tell me if I should have an abortion when the test results come
  back.
  b. I know support groups exist for parents who have a baby with birth defects, but
  we have plenty of insurance to cover what we need.
  c. When all the lab results come back, my husband and I will make a decision about
  the pregnancy.
  d. My mother must not find out about all this testing. If she does, she will think I'm
  having an abortion.

Question 2

The nurse has been providing nutritional guidance to the parents of an 18-month-old. The comment by a parent that would prompt the nurse to provide the parent with further education is:

1. We allow our child to drink only pasteurized apple cider.
  2. We take the meat out of the freezer, and then allow it to thaw on the counter for two to three hours before cooking it thoroughly.
  3. We always wash our hands well before any food preparation.
  4. We use separate utensils for preparing raw meat and preparing fruits, vegetables, and other foods.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

yasmina

Answer to Question 1

C
Feedback
A The final decision about the future of the pregnancy lies with the patient only.
B Support groups are extremely important for parents of a baby with a defect.
Insurance will help cover expenses, but the defect also takes a toll on the
emotional, physical, and social aspects of the parents' lives.
C The final decision about genetic testing and the future of the pregnancy lies with
the patient. She will involve only those people whom she chooses in her
decisions.
D An amniocentesis is performed to detect chromosomal defects. Many women
have this done to prepare and educate themselves for the baby's arrival. The
woman should also be assured that her care is confidential.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:
1. Not serving unpasteurized apple cider helps prevent infection with foodborne pathogens.
2. Frozen meat should be thawed in the refrigerator prior to cooking. Allowing meat to sit out on a counter can cause the bacteria counts to increase quickly, and cooking the meat might not effectively destroy all of the bacteria.
3. Washing hands helps prevent infection with foodborne pathogens.
4. Using separate utensils for preparing raw meat and preparing fruits, vegetables, and other foods helps prevent infection with foodborne pathogens.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library