This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing teaching to the mother of an adolescent girl about how to manage menstrual pain ... (Read 43 times)

tuffie

A nurse is providing teaching to the mother of an adolescent girl about how to manage menstrual pain without medications. Which of the following statements by the mother indicates a need for further teaching?

A) I need to help her learn techniques to distract hercard games, for example.
  B) I need to be able to identify the subtle ways she shows pain.
  C) I need to follow these instructions exactly for them to work properly.
  D) I need to encourage her to practice and use these techniques.

Question 2

The nurse has applied EMLA cream as ordered. How does the nurse determine whether the cream has achieved its purpose?

A) Assess the skin for redness.
  B) Note any blanching of skin.
  C) Lightly tap the area where the cream is.
  D) Gently poke the child with a needle.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fdliggud

Answer to Question 1

C
Response:
The mother does not need to follow the instructions exactly; she needs to review the methods and modify them in a way that works best for her daughter. The other statements are correct.

Answer to Question 2

C
Response:
The nurse should verify that sensation is absent by lightly tapping or scratching the area. Blanching or redness indicates that the medication has penetrated the skin adequately but does not indicate that sensation is absent. Using a needle to poke the skin would probably frighten the child.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library