Author Question: The client makes the following statement: I'm afraid to take the baby home tomorrow. Which response ... (Read 9 times)

amal

The client makes the following statement: I'm afraid to take the baby home tomorrow. Which response by the nurse would be the most therapeutic?

a. You're afraid to take the baby home?
  b. I was scared when I took my first baby home, but everything worked out.
  c. You should read the literature I gave you before you leave.
  d. Don't you have a mother that can come and help?

Question 2

Which is an appropriate response to a woman's comment that she is worried about having a cesarean birth?

a. Don't worry. Everything will be okay.
  b. What are your feelings about having a cesarean birth?
  c. I know you're worried, but this is a routine procedure.
  d. Clients commonly worry about surgery.

softEldritch

Answer to Question 1

A
This response uses reflection to show concern and open communication. The other choices are blocks to communication.

Answer to Question 2

B
Allowing the client to express her feelings is the most appropriate nursing response. The nurse should never provide the client with false reassurance or disregard her feelings.
This answer is stating that the client's feelings are not important.
This is belittling the client's concerns and does not allow her to express her concerns.
This answer is close-ended and belittling to the client's feelings.