Author Question: A woman received 25 mg of meperidine (Demerol) intravenously 1 hour before delivery. What drug ... (Read 37 times)

Medesa

A woman received 25 mg of meperidine (Demerol) intravenously 1 hour before delivery. What drug should the nurse have readily available?

a. Promethazine (Phenergan)
  b. Nalbuphine (Nubain)
  c. Butorphanol (Stadol)
  d. Naloxone (Narcan)

Question 2

Which of the following statements by the client indicates that she understands breast self-examination?

a. I will examine both breasts in two different positions.
  b. I will perform a breast self-examination 1 week after my menstrual period starts.
  c. I will examine the outer upper area of the breast only.
  d. I will use the palm of the hand to perform the examination.

stallen

Answer to Question 1

D
Naloxone (Narcan) reverses narcotic-induced respiratory depression, which may occur with administration of narcotic analgesia.
Phenergan is normally given for nausea.
Nubain and Stadol are analgesics given to women in labor.

Answer to Question 2

B
The woman should examine her breasts when hormonal influences are at a low level.