Author Question: The nurse is caring for an infant with osteogenesis imperfecta and is providing instruction on how ... (Read 23 times)

deesands

The nurse is caring for an infant with osteogenesis imperfecta and is providing instruction on how to reduce the risk of injury. Which of the following responses from the mother indicates a need for further teaching?

A) I need to avoid pushing or pulling on an arm or leg.
  B) I must carefully lift the baby from under the armpits.
  C) I should not bend an arm or leg into an awkward position.
  D) We must avoid lifting the legs by the ankles to change diapers.

Question 2

A nurse is explaining to the nursing students working on the antepartum unit how to assess edema. Which score indicates edema of lower extremities, face, hands, and sacral area?

a. +1 edema
  b. +2 edema
  c. +3 edema
  d. +4 edema

coreycathey

Answer to Question 1

B

Answer to Question 2

C
Edema classified as +1 indicates minimal edema of the lower extremities. Marked edema of the lower extremities is termed +2 edema. Edema of the extremities, face, and sacral area is classified as +3 edema. Generalized massive edema (+4) includes accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity.