Author Question: Becky has delivered twins. The first twin was stillborn, and the second is in the intensive care ... (Read 29 times)

Chelseaamend

Becky has delivered twins. The first twin was stillborn, and the second is in the intensive care nursery, recovering quickly from respiratory distress. Becky is crying softly and says, I wish my baby could have lived.

The most therapeutic response is: a. Don't be sad. At least you have one healthy baby.
  b. How soon do you plan to have another baby?
  c. I have a friend who lost a twin and she's doing just fine now.
  d. I am so sorry about your loss. Would you like to talk about it?

Question 2

Which is the most appropriate statement for introducing the topic of family planning in the postpartum setting?

a. Let's talk about birth control because breastfeeding is not 100 effective in preventing pregnancy.
  b. What are your plans for future pregnancies?
  c. Here are some pamphlets on available methods of birth control. I'll come back later and discuss them with you.
  d. Do you plan on being sexually active in the future?

ally

Answer to Question 1

D
The nurse should recognize the woman's grief and its significance.
This is denying the loss of the other infant.
This is denying the loss of the infant and her grief and belittling her feelings.
This is belittling her feelings.

Answer to Question 2

B
This opens the conversation to ways of preventing pregnancy from occurring before the woman is ready.