Author Question: A new mother asks, Why should I bring my baby in for a checkup? He isn't sick. The nurse's best ... (Read 26 times)

Pea0909berry

A new mother asks, Why should I bring my baby in for a checkup? He isn't sick. The nurse's best response is:

a. He may have a problem that you haven't identified.
  b. Well-baby visits allow the doctor to determine whether your baby is growing and developing normally.
  c. These visits are required by law to identify communicable diseases.
  d. Please ask your pediatrician to explain this to you.

Question 2

Which newborn would the nurse recognize as being most at risk for developing respira-tory distress syndrome?

a. A 35-week-gestation female baby born vaginally 72 hours after the rupture of membranes
  b. A 36-week-gestation male baby born by cesarean delivery to a mother with insu-lin-dependent diabetes
  c. A 35-week-gestation male baby born vaginally to a mother addicted to heroin
  d. A 35-week-gestation female baby born vaginally to a mother who has pregnan-cy-induced hypertension

asdfasdf

Answer to Question 1

B
The pediatrician uses well-baby checkups to observe for abnormalities, to answer parental questions, to give immunizations, and to observe the normal growth and development of the infant.
Check ups are done to allow for pediatrician's to identify problems not for the mother to identify problems.
Check-ups are not required by law.
The nurse can answer this question; it does not need to be answered by the pediatrician.

Answer to Question 2

B
Infants of mothers with diabetes have delayed production of surfactant, thus placing the in-fant at risk for respiratory distress syndrome.
This neonate is at risk for infection due to the prolonged rupture of membranes.
This neonate is at risk for withdrawal.
This neonate is at risk for hypoxia.