This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A mother brings her four-month-old infant in for a routine checkup and vaccinations. The mother ... (Read 37 times)

chandani

A mother brings her four-month-old infant in for a routine checkup and vaccinations. The mother reports that the four-month-old was exposed to a brother who has the flu. In this case, the nurse will:

1. Withhold the DTaP vaccination but give the others as scheduled.
  2. Give the infant the flu vaccination but withhold the others.
  3. Give the vaccinations as scheduled.
  4. Withhold the vaccinations.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a mother of a young child with a newly diagnosed seizure disorder. The child has been put on valproic acid (Depakote) for control of seizures.

The nurse knows that the mother does not understand the effects of valproic acid when she states: 1. I will not use carbonated beverages to dilute his medication.
  2. I will give his medicine on an empty stomach so he will absorb it better.
  3. I will not let him chew his tablet.
  4. I will bring him to the physician office for regular blood work to check bleeding times.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gasdhashg

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: There is no reason to withhold any of the vaccinations due at this time.
Rationale 2: The flu vaccination would not routinely be given to a four-month-old.
Rationale 3: Giving the vaccine as scheduled will keep the infant properly immunized.
Rationale 4: Recent exposure to an infectious disease is not a reason to defer a vaccine.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Carbonated beverages should never be used to dilute valproic acid.
Rationale 2: Valproic acid (Depakote) should be given with foods to decrease GI irritation.
Rationale 3: This child should not be allowed to chew a valproic acid tablet.
Rationale 4: It is appropriate to have periodic blood studies to check bleeding times and platelet count.
Global

chandani

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library