Author Question: The nurse at an outpatient clinic is sitting with the parents while their adolescent goes for a ... (Read 16 times)

jazziefee

The nurse at an outpatient clinic is sitting with the parents while their adolescent goes for a test. The parents are complaining about their child's behavior. The nursing statement to a parent that fosters family-centered communication is:

1. I agree with you, discipline is an important part of parenting.

2. I know just how you feel. I had the same experience with my children.

3. You are so right. Adolescents function in the me-first mode all the time.

4. Tell me how you feel when your adolescent is aggressive with you.

Question 2

Supportive care for the family of an infant who died from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) includes:

1. Interviewing parents to determine the cause of the SIDS incident.
   2. Allowing parents to hold, touch, and rock the infant.
   3. Sheltering parents from the grief by not giving them any personal items of the infant, such as footprints.
   4. Advising parents that an autopsy is not necessary.

Bison

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:
This statement is a blocking statement, and would not foster family-centered communication.
2. This statement is a blocking statement, and would not foster family-centered communication.
3. This statement is a blocking statement, and would not foster family-centered communication.
4. Using an open-ended question allows the parents to discuss a family concern.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:
1. The other options are nontherapeutic.
2. The parents should be allowed to hold, touch, and rock the infant, giving them a chance to say good-bye to their baby.
3. The other options are nontherapeutic.
4. The death of an infant without a known medical condition is an indication for an autopsy.
Implementation
Psychosocial Integrity
Application
Learning Outcome 25.4 Differentiate between different causes of apnea in infants and children, and identify nursing actions appropriate for each.