Author Question: A nurse working with Japanese-American adolescents should be aware of nonverbal communication ... (Read 30 times)

elizabeth18

A nurse working with Japanese-American adolescents should be aware of nonverbal communication patterns in their culture. While working with these clients, the nurse should:

1. Shake their hands upon greeting them.

2. Look directly at them while talking with them.

3. Touch them often during the communication to reassure them.

4. Stand very close to them while talking with them.

Question 2

The nurse caring for a 9-year-old child with extensive burns needs to prepare the child for going to whirlpool therapy for the first time. The most effective response to promote communication with this child would be:

1. Some of the children I have worked with before have told me that the thing they worried most about was how much it would hurt them.

2. Before you leave for whirlpool, I will give you a shot that will relax you, and you probably won't even remember going downstairs at all.

3. I am going to be taking you downstairs to whirlpool, do you have any questions?

4. Have you been to the playroom yet? Maybe when you get back from whirlpool we can check it out together.

janeli

Answer to Question 1

Rationale:

1. Handshaking is acceptable in the Japanese culture.
2. Direct eye contact is considered a sign of disrespect
3. Touch is not used very often, especially with casual acquaintances.
4. Distant personal space is the cultural norm.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:

1. Some of the children I have worked with before have told me that the thing they worried most about was how much it would hurt them is most likely to encourage the child to discuss his own concerns about the procedure.
2. Before you leave for whirlpool, I will give you a shot that will relax you, and you probably won't even remember going downstairs at all might be confusing and might frighten the child.
3. The child does not know what questions to ask, nor would he voluntarily ask them if he knew.
4. Ignoring the current situation does not allow the child to feel able to open up to the nurse about his fears and concerns.