Author Question: Prior to giving an intramuscular injection to a two-and-a-half-year-old child, the most appropriate ... (Read 18 times)

HCHenry

Prior to giving an intramuscular injection to a two-and-a-half-year-old child, the most appropriate statement by the nurse would be:

1. It is all right to cry. I know that this hurts. After we are done, you can go to the box and pick out your favorite sticker.
  2. We will give you your shot when your mommy comes back.
  3. This is medicine that will make you better. First we will hold your leg, then I will wipe it off with this magic cloth that kills the germs on your leg right here. Then I will hold the needle like this and say 'one, two, three, go' and give you your shot. After the shot is over with, I will hold the cotton ball until it stops bleeding and then put the Band-Aid on. Are you ready?
  4. This is a magic sword that will give you your medicine and make you all better.

Question 2

While the nurse is admitting a pediatric patient, the mother blurts out, I think this hospital is the most disorganized, inefficient place I have ever been in The most therapeutic response for the nurse to make would be:

1. Does your child have any allergies or take any medication routinely?

2. It sounds like you are upset with the care your child has received. Is that correct?

3. This hospital and its staff are extremely competent, and you are receiving the best possible care.

4. It happens to be very busy right now, and there are children much sicker than your child who need to be cared for first.

kingfahad97

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The most appropriate response would be to acknowledge the child's feelings and give him something to look forward to.
Rationale 2: Waiting for the mother to come back would be inappropriate because toddlers do not have an understanding of time.
Rationale 3: Giving elaborate descriptions and using colorful language are inappropriate because the instructions are unclear and lengthy.
Rationale 4: The nurse should not make statements that are not true and might confuse the child.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale:

1. Asking another question instead of responding to the mother's complaint is an example of ineffective communication techniques. This will do nothing to defuse the situation.
2. This response validates the mother's perceptions, and provides an opportunity for the mother to clarify her concerns with the nurse and keep the lines of communication open.
3. Disagreeing with the mother at this point would not be a therapeutic response.
4. Making excuses is not considered responding therapeutically.