This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Following carrier testing, it is determined that both the husband and wife have sickle-cell trait. ... (Read 14 times)

mckennatimberlake

Following carrier testing, it is determined that both the husband and wife have sickle-cell trait. Which statement by the wife indicates correct understanding of autosomal recessive inheritance?

1. Because both my husband and I carry the trait but do not have the disease, I don't need to have prenatal testing because my baby will also be a carrier.
  2. Because both my husband and I are both carriers, I don't need to have prenatal testing because all of our children will have the disease.
  3. When I become pregnant, I need to have an amniocentesis or other prenatal test to determine whether my baby is affected with sickle-cell disease.
  4. There is no use undergoing prenatal testing as sickle-cell anemia cannot be diagnosed prenatally.

Question 2

An infant has been diagnosed with a mild heart defect. Surgery to correct the defect will not be performed for at least two years. The nurse teaches the parents that a child with a mild heart defect should:

1. Have a low-grade fever until the defect is repaired.
  2. Maintain normal activity.
  3. Not develop congestive heart failure.
  4. Not be given antipyretics.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nmyers

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The pregnant woman will require prenatal testing as her child will have a 50-50 chance of being a carrier and a 1 in 4 chance of being affected.
Rationale 2: Each child has a 50 chance of carrying the trait and a 25 chance of having the disorder.
Rationale 3: This statement is accurate.
Rationale 4: This statement is inaccurate because sickle-cell anemia can be diagnosed prenatally.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Low-grade fever is not a normal finding in a child with a mild cyanotic heart defect and could be a sign of infective endocarditis.
Rationale 2: A child with a mild cyanotic heart defect should be treated as normally as possible without activity adjustment.
Rationale 3: Any child with a heart defect could develop congestive heart failure.
Rationale 4: Fevers are treated with antipyretics so that dehydration is avoided.
Global

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library