Author Question: The nurse is instructing a group of first-time parents who are being discharged with their newborns. ... (Read 23 times)

tfester

The nurse is instructing a group of first-time parents who are being discharged with their newborns. One parent asks the nurse what to do if the child has a temperature.

The caregivers make the following statements after the nurse teaches them how to care for a child with an elevated temperature. Which statement would indicate a need for further teaching?
  A) A rectal temperature above 102.5 should be lowered.
  B) Giving extra fluids is the way I have always heard to lower a temperature.
  C) I don't plan to give my child medications, but the pediatrician might tell us to give our child acetaminophen every 4 to 6 hours if she has a fever.
  D) If my child starts to shiver I will know that what I am doing is working and that her fever will soon come down.

Question 2

The nurse is doing teaching with a couple who are first-time parents. They are being discharged with their newborn. The mother tells the nurse she has heard about sudden infant death syndrome and is worried about that happening to her baby.

In teaching about the prevention of SIDS, the nurse teaches the new parents to:
  A) let the newborn sleep on his stomach in their bed.
  B) prop the baby on his side or put him to sleep on his back.
  C) lay him on his stomach with a small pillow under his abdomen.
  D) prop him up with a pillow so his head is at a slightly elevated angle.

ecabral0

Answer to Question 1

D

Answer to Question 2

B