This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Most parents of children with special needs tend to experience chronic sorrow. This is characterized ... (Read 30 times)

ereecah

Most parents of children with special needs tend to experience chronic sorrow. This is characterized by:

a. Lack of acceptance of the child's limitation.
  b. Lack of available support to prevent sorrow.
  c. Periods of intensified sorrow when experiencing anger and guilt.
  d. Periods of intensified sorrow and loss that occur in waves over time.

Question 2

The nurse comes into the room of a child who was just diagnosed with a chronic disability. The child's parents begin to yell at the nurse about a variety of concerns. The nurse's best response is:

a. What is really wrong?
  b. Being angry is only natural.
  c. Yelling at me will not change things.
  d. I will come back when you settle down.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jessofishing

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Chronic sorrow is manifested by feelings of sorrow and loss that recur in waves over time. The sorrow is in response to the recognition of the child's limitations. The family should be assessed in an ongoing manner to provide appropriate support as the needs of the family change. The sorrow is not preventable. The chronic sorrow occurs during the reintegration and acknowledgment stage.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Parental anger after the diagnosis of a child with a chronic disability is a common response. One of the most common targets for parental anger is members of the staff. The nurse should recognize the common response of anger to the diagnosis and allow the family to ventilate. What is really wrong? Yelling at me will not change things, and I will come back when you settle down are all possible responses, but they are not the likely reasons for this anger.

ereecah

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

scikid

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library