This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman who is 8 months pregnant asks the nurse, Does my baby have any antibodies to fight ... (Read 19 times)

NClaborn

A woman who is 8 months pregnant asks the nurse, Does my baby have any antibodies to fight infection? The most appropriate response by the nurse is:

a. Your baby has all the immune globulins necessary: IgG, IgM, and IgA.
  b. Your baby won't receive any antibodies until he is born and you breastfeed him.
  c. Your baby does not have any antibodies to fight infection.
  d. Your baby has IgG and IgM.

Question 2

Sally comes in for her first prenatal examination. This is her first child. She asks you (the nurse), How does my baby get air inside my uterus? The correct response is:

a. The baby's lungs work in utero to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide.
  b. The baby absorbs oxygen from your blood system.
  c. The placenta provides oxygen to the baby and excretes carbon dioxide into your bloodstream.
  d. The placenta delivers oxygen-rich blood through the umbilical artery to the baby's abdomen.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brbarasa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
During the third trimester, the only immune globulins that crosses the placenta, IgG, provides passive acquired immunity to specific bacterial toxins. The fetus produces IgM by the end of the first trimester. IgA is not produced by the baby. By the third trimester, the fetus has IgG and IgM. Breastfeeding supplies the baby with IgA. Your baby does not have any antibodies to fight infection is an inaccurate statement.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The placenta functions by supplying oxygen and excreting carbon dioxide to the maternal bloodstream. The fetal lungs do not function for respiratory gas exchange in utero. The baby does not simply absorb oxygen from a woman's blood system. Blood and gas transport occur through the placenta. The placenta delivers oxygen-rich blood through the umbilical vein and not the artery.

NClaborn

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library