Author Question: The nurse guides a woman to the examination room and asks her to remove her clothes and put on an ... (Read 20 times)

The nurse guides a woman to the examination room and asks her to remove her clothes and put on an examination gown with the front open.

The woman states, I have special undergarments that I do not remove for religious reasons. The most appropriate response from the nurse would be:
  a. You can't have an examination without removing all your clothes.
  b. I'll ask the doctor to modify the examination.
  c. Tell me about your undergarments. I'll explain the examination procedure, and then we can discuss how you can have your examination comfortably.
  d. What? I've never heard of such a thing That sounds different and strange.

Question 2

A 62-year-old woman has not been to the clinic for an annual examination for 5 years. The recent death of her husband reminded her that she should come for a visit.

Her family doctor has retired, and she is going to see the women's health nurse practitioner for her visit. To facilitate a positive health care experience, the nurse should:
  a. Remind the woman that she is long overdue for her examination and that she should come in annually.
  b. Listen carefully and allow extra time for this woman's health history interview.
  c. Reassure the woman that a nurse practitioner is just as good as her old doctor.
  d. Encourage the woman to talk about the death of her husband and her fears about her own death.

akemokai

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
This statement reflects cultural competence by the nurse and shows respect for the woman's religious practices. The nurse must respect the rich and unique qualities that cultural diversity brings to individuals. In recognizing the value of these differences, the nurse can modify the plan of care to meet the needs of each woman.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The nurse has an opportunity to use reflection and empathy while listening and to ensure open and caring communication. Scheduling a longer appointment time may be necessary because older women may have longer histories or may need to talk. A respectful and reassuring approach to caring for women older than age 50 can help ensure that they continue to seek health care. Reminding the woman about her overdue examination, reassuring the woman that she has a good practitioner, and encouraging conversation about the death of her husband and her own death are not the best approaches with women in this age group.