This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: To ensure patient safety, the practicing nurse must have knowledge of the current Joint Commission's ... (Read 40 times)

Themember4

To ensure patient safety, the practicing nurse must have knowledge of the current Joint Commission's Do Not Use list of abbreviations. Which of the following is acceptable for use?

a. q.o.d. or Q.O.D. c. International Unit
  b. MSO4 or MgSO4 d. Lack of a leading zero

Question 2

Healthy People 2020 has established national health priorities that focus on a number of maternal-child health indicators.

Nurses are assuming greater roles in assessing family health and providing care across the perinatal continuum. Therefore it is important for the nurse to be aware that significant progress has been made in:
  a. The reduction of fetal deaths and use of prenatal care.
  b. Low birth weight and preterm birth.
  c. Elimination of health disparities based on race.
  d. Infant mortality and the prevention of birth defects.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Kingjoffery

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The abbreviations i.u. and I.U. are no longer acceptable because they could be misread as I.V. or the number 10. The abbreviation q.o.d. or Q.O.D. should be written out as every other day. The period after the Q could be mistaken for an I; the o could also be mistaken for an i. With MSO4 or MgSO4, it is too easy to confuse one medication for another. These medications are used for very different purposes and could put a client at risk for an adverse outcome. They should be written as morphine sulfate and magnesium sulfate. The decimal point should never be missed before a number to avoid confusion (i.e., 0.4 rather than .4).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Trends in maternal child health indicate that progress has been made in relation to reduced infant and fetal deaths and increased prenatal care. Notable gaps remain in the rates of low birth weight and preterm births. According to the March of Dimes, persistent disparities still exist between African Americans and non-Hispanic Caucasians. Many of these negative outcomes are preventable through access to prenatal care and the use of preventive health practices. This demonstrates the need for comprehensive community-based care for all mothers, infants, and families.

Themember4

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

Gracias!

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library