This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A low-risk patient calls the labor unit and says I need to come in to be checked right now, there ... (Read 8 times)

formula1

A low-risk patient calls the labor unit and says I need to come in to be checked right now, there were pink streaks on the toilet paper when I went to the bathroom. I think I'm bleeding. What response should the nurse say first?

a. How much blood is there?
  b. You sound concerned, what other labor symptoms do you have?
  c. Don't worry that sounds like a mucus plug.
  d. Does it burn when you urinate?

Question 2

Mrs. H is telling you she feels the urge to push. This is most likely caused by what?

a. Low fetal station triggering the Ferguson reflex
  b. A fetal position of occiput posterior (OP)
  c. The second stage of labor
  d. Transition phase

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tuate

Answer to Question 1

ANS: b
The nurse is using reflection to acknowledge the woman's concerns and asks for further assessment. The woman's fear must first be acknowledged and then other questions or comments can be made.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: a
Once the cervix is fully dilated and the vertex is low in the pelvis and the woman feels the urge to push, she will involuntarily bear down. This is activated when the presenting part as it descends stretches the pelvic floor muscles and triggers the Ferguson reflex.

formula1

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

elyse44

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library