This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A teenage patient tells the nurse that she is being abused by her boyfriend but she doesn't want her ... (Read 41 times)

bobbie

A teenage patient tells the nurse that she is being abused by her boyfriend but she doesn't want her parents to know because they won't let her see him any longer. What is the best response by the nurse?

A) It's my responsibility to tell your parents if you are in danger.
  B) I understand your fear, but I am obligated to be sure your parents know you are in danger. Would you like for us to talk to them together?
  C) I won't tell them this time, but I must inform you that legally I must inform your parents if abuse is occurring. Next time it happens I will have to tell them.
  D) You need to tell them because the abuse isn't going to get any better. It will only escalate no matter what your boyfriend says.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a 12-year-old girl with a severe peanut allergy. The girl's parents are upset because the school does not permit her to carry her EpiPen with her.

It must remain in the school's office per school regulations. Which response by the nurse would be most appropriate?

A) She is allowed by law to carry her EpiPen with her; I will talk to school authorities.
  B) Let's file an action plan and keep it in the school office in the event of anaphylaxis.
  C) Make sure she wears a medical alert bracelet so that school staff know she has allergies.
  D) I will be happy to train school authorities and staff to recognize anaphylaxis.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

katkat_flores

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The most empathetic and informative response is recognizing the teen's fear. This response also establishes trust by letting the patient know what the nurse's responsibility is while also offering support by talking to the parents with the teen. Responding that the nurse won't inform the parents this time is incorrect because the nurse is legally bound to notify the parents if the child is in danger, as in the case of abuse.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
Public Law No. 108-377, the Asthmatic Schoolchildren's Treatment and Health Management Act of 2004, was passed by the U.S. Congress. This law is intended to ensure that students with severe allergies can carry prescribed medications such as an EpiPen with them at all times. The nurse must contact the school and inform them of this law so that the girl is allowed to carry her EpiPen on her person at all times. The school staff should be trained to recognize anaphylaxis, there should be an action plan on file, and the girl should wear a medical alert bracelet as well. However, the most important action is to notify school authorities of the law.

bobbie

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ryansturges

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library