This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is speaking with a parent regarding their child's recent diagnosis of oppositional defiant ... (Read 8 times)

gonzo233

The nurse is speaking with a parent regarding their child's recent diagnosis of oppositional defiant disorder. Which statement by the parent would cause the nurse to question the diagnosis?

A) I am so tired of arguing with my daughter all the time.
  B) My son purposely does exactly the opposite of what his father tells him to do.
  C) I feel so bad that my daughter intentionally hurt the neighbor's cat.
  D) My daughter gets so annoyed at me when she doesn't get her way.

Question 2

The nurse is preparing an educational program on behavioral management techniques used in children to help alter negative behavior. What information should the nurse include? Select all that apply.

A) Set limits and hold the child responsible for their behavior.
  B) Do not argue, bargain or negotiate about the limits once established.
  C) Change caregivers occasionally so the child learns to respond to different people.
  D) Use a high-pitched voice and remain calm when speaking with the child.
  E) Ignore inappropriate behaviors.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sarajane1989

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Common behaviors in oppositional defiant disorder include excessive arguing with adults, active defiance, noncompliance with adult requests or limits and easily annoyed. Physical cruelty to animals or people is associated with conduct disorder, not oppositional defiant disorder.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A, B
Behavior management techniques include setting limits and holding the child responsible for his or her behavior. Not arguing, bargaining or negotiating about the limits once established. Inappropriate behaviors should be ignored. Provide consistent caregivers and establish a daily routine. Use a low-pitched, not high pitched voice and remain calm when speaking with the child.

gonzo233

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library