This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is admitting a toddler with the diagnosis of juvenile hypothyroidism. Which is a common ... (Read 37 times)

karlynnae

The nurse is admitting a toddler with the diagnosis of juvenile hypothyroidism. Which is a common clinical manifestation of this disorder?

a. Insomnia
  b. Diarrhea
  c. Dry skin
  d. Accelerated growth

Question 2

The nurse is teaching the parents of a child who is receiving methimazole (Tapazole) for the treatment of hyperthyroidism (Graves disease). Which statement made by the parent indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I would expect my child to gain weight while taking this medication.
  b. I would expect my child to experience episodes of ear pain while taking this medication.
  c. If my child develops a sore throat and fever, I should contact the physician immediately.
  d. If my child develops the stomach flu, my child will need to be hospitalized.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fatboyy09

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Dry skin, mental decline, and myxedematous skin changes are associated with juvenile hypothyroidism. Children with hypothyroidism are usually sleepy. Constipation is associated with hypothyroidism. Decelerated growth is common in juvenile hypothyroidism.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Children being treated with Tapazole must be carefully monitored for the side effects of the medication. Parents must be alerted that sore throat and fever accompany the grave complication of leukopenia. These symptoms should be immediately reported. Weight gain, episodes of ear pain, and concern for hospitalization with the stomach flu are not concerns related to taking Tapazole.

karlynnae

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library