This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During a community health class, the nurse is educating prenatal patients and their partners about ... (Read 22 times)

mrsjacobs44

During a community health class, the nurse is educating prenatal patients and their partners about normal newborn behavior. Which attendee's statement indicates that teaching was effective? I can expect that my newborn baby:

1. Will be able to hear very well immediately after she is born.
  2. Should be trained to breastfeed by being encouraged to suck on a pacifier before feedings.
  3. Will have difficulty seeing me close up in the hours right after delivery.
  4. Should be discouraged form sucking on a pacifier if he is bottle feeding.

Question 2

During a post conference, nursing students are simulating physical assessment of the newborn using a model. Throughout the simulated assessment, students describe each of their actions.

Which nursing student's statement indicates the need for further teaching?
  1. I measured the newborn's blood pressure using the Doppler technique.
  2. I auscultated the infant's heart tones for one minute.
  3. I palpated peripheral pulses in all the newborn's extremities.
  4. I obtained the infant's heart rate by observing the cardiac monitor.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

TDubDCFL

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Newborns have very acute hearing immediately after birth.
Rationale 2: Pacifiers should be offered to breastfed infants only after breastfeeding is well established or during prolonged times away from the mother, or when stressful or painful procedures are required.
Rationale 3: The newborn is nearsighted and has best vision at a distance of 8 to 15 inches.
Rationale 4: For bottle-fed infants, there is no reason to discourage nonnutritive sucking with a pacifier.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: The measurement of blood pressure is best accomplished by using the Doppler technique with a size- and weight-appropriate cuff over the brachial artery.
Rationale 2: Apical pulse rates should be obtained by auscultation for a full minute, preferably when the newborn is asleep.
Rationale 3: Peripheral pulses of all extremities should also be evaluated to detect any inequalities or unusual characteristics.
Rationale 4: Physical assessment of the newborn's heart rate requires auscultation of the apical pulse for a full minute.

mrsjacobs44

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Gracias!

xiaomengxian

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library