This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 26-year-old woman who is pregnant with her first child is admitted to the obstetrics unit with a ... (Read 22 times)

PhilipSeeMore

A 26-year-old woman who is pregnant with her first child is admitted to the obstetrics unit with a diagnosis of cervical insufficiency. Based upon the patient's diagnosis, how is she most likely to describe her symptoms?

1. I've been having contractions every four hours.
  2. My cervical pain has gotten much worse over the past two days.
  3. I'm not having any pain, but my contractions are getting stronger.
  4. I'm not having any pain and I don't feel any contractions.

Question 2

A clinical nurse coordinator is teaching a class of nursing students about surgical and postoperative care of the woman who undergoes cerclage. Which nursing student's statement indicates the need for further clarification of the teaching?

1. Sometimes cerclage can be performed on an outpatient basis.
  2. If cerclage is performed emergently, the woman will usually be hospitalized for at least five days.
  3. If the woman's amniotic sac is bulging, the cerclage is contraindicated and the procedure cannot be performed.
  4. After 37 weeks' gestation, the woman's cerclage may be cut in order to allow for vaginal delivery.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ricroger

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Cervical insufficiency (formerly called incompetent cervix) is painless dilatation of the cervix without contractions due to a structural or functional defect of the cervix.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: An uncomplicated elective cerclage may be done on an outpatient basis or the woman may be hospitalized and discharged after 24 to 48 hours. An emergency cerclage, however, requires hospitalization for 5 to 7 days or longer.
Rationale 2: An uncomplicated elective cerclage may be done on an outpatient basis or the woman may be hospitalized and discharged after 24 to 48 hours. An emergency cerclage, however, requires hospitalization for 5 to 7 days or longer.
Rationale 3: Decompression of a bulging amniotic sac is not a contraindication to cerclage; rather, the amniotic sac must be decompressed immediately before the procedure.
Rationale 4: After 37 completed weeks' gestation, the suture may be cut and vaginal birth permitted, or the suture may be left in place and a cesarean birth performed.

PhilipSeeMore

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

adammoses97

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library