Author Question: Parents of a child in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) have been experiencing shock and ... (Read 47 times)

storky111

Parents of a child in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) have been experiencing shock and disbelief regarding their situation. Which statement by the parents indicates they are moving forward into the next stage of coping?

1. Why not me instead of my child?
  2. It is hard for me to have others take care of my child.
  3. I feel like life is suspended in time.
  4. I am glad I can help with his care.

Question 2

A school-age client is admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) in critical condition after a motor vehicle accident. Which intervention should be implemented at this time?

1. Maintain consistent caregivers.
  2. Turn the lights off at night.
  3. Keep alarm levels low.
  4. Consult the hospital play therapist.

jliusyl

Answer to Question 1

This is great. Thanks

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: The intensive care environment is fast-paced, overwhelming, and frightening. Maintaining consistent caregivers is invaluable in developing a familiar and trusting relationship with the child. Turning off the lights in an intensive care environment is not feasible. Keeping alarm levels low could increase risk of injury if an alarm is not heard by staff. Consulting the play therapist is not appropriate at this time.