This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient in her third trimester of pregnancy complains of dizziness and faintness when she lies on ... (Read 31 times)

daltonest1984

A patient in her third trimester of pregnancy complains of dizziness and faintness when she lies on her back. Which statement by the nurse is most appropriate?

a. Don't worry, you don't have long to go until delivery.
  b. To improve the symptoms, lie on your left side instead of your back.
  c. The symptoms are due to an increase in cardiac output when you lie down.
  d. You will sleep more comfortably in a recliner.

Question 2

A pregnant woman diagnosed with anemia says, I don't see how I could be anemic. I have been very careful to take iron tablets and to eat a balanced diet. The nurse's most appropriate response is:

a. Have you had any bleeding that might have caused this?
  b. It is normal to be anemic during pregnancy, so don't worry about it.
  c. During pregnancy, the fluid portion of your blood increases, which dilutes your red blood cells.
  d. You need additional red blood cells to supply your baby's oxygen needs. Too many of your blood cells are going to your baby.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

scrocafella

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Supine hypotensive syndrome is a drop in cardiac output that may occur in the third trimester as a result of pressure on the inferior vena cava by the enlarged uterus. Cardiac output is best when lying on the left side.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Both plasma and red blood cells (RBCs) increase during pregnancy, but the increase in plasma exceeds the increase in RBCs. This essentially dilutes the RBCs so that the patient's hemoglobin and hematocrit fall. The patient's hemoglobin and hematocrit should be measured routinely. A hemoglobin below 11 g/dL or a hematocrit below 35 merits evaluation for anemia.

daltonest1984

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Excellent

emsimon14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library