Author Question: The patient asks, When will my baby be able to live outside my body? The most appropriate response ... (Read 28 times)

fnuegbu

The patient asks, When will my baby be able to live outside my body? The most appropriate response is:

a. You don't need to worry. Your baby will be fine.
  b. The age of fetal viability is twenty weeks' gestation.
  c. The best chance of survival is at thirty weeks' gestation.
  d. Doctors don't know because every pregnancy is different.

Question 2

A woman who is 39 weeks' pregnant has been diagnosed with oligohydramnios. The nurse recognizes that following birth her newborn must be assessed for which type of fetal abnormality?

a. Cardiac
  b. Gastrointestinal
  c. Renal
  d. Neurologic

zogaridan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The age of fetal viability is 20 weeks' gestation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Although most amniotic fluid appears to be derived from maternal blood, the fetus also adds to the fluid by excreting urine into it. Oligohydramnios, or decreased amniotic fluid, is therefore associated with renal anomalies.