This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is seeing a 17-year-old female in the clinic for complaints of acne. The nurse plans on ... (Read 21 times)

kamilo84

The nurse is seeing a 17-year-old female in the clinic for complaints of acne. The nurse plans on taking advantage of this teachable moment with the teen. What topics will the nurse include in the teen's teaching plan?

a. Smoking habits, folic acid intake, and heart disease
  b. Hyperlipidemia, distracted driving, and menstrual history
  c. Sexual activity, contraception, and screening for violence
  d. Optimum weight, hypothyroidism, and sexually transmitted diseases

Question 2

A patient has just acknowledged that she is 20 weeks pregnant and confides to the nurse that she has a daily heroin habit. The nurse discusses treatment options for the patient. Which patient statement requires follow-up?

a. My plan is to visit the outpatient clinic daily for treatment.
  b. I will see my health care provider at least every 2 weeks.
  c. My baby will not have to go through withdrawal when I take methadone.
  d. With oral methadone, my baby and I are at decreased risk of infection.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aham8f

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
All the topics mentioned are worthy of discussion. However, sexual activity, contraception, and screening for violence have priority related to the age and gender of the patient. Because adolescents are often seen by a health care provider for various reasons before they become pregnant, counseling to improve health for a future pregnancy should be offered to them during any health care visit. Smoking cessation, attaining optimum weight, folic acid intake, and screening for violence are topics that should be discussed with all young women so that any future pregnancy has the most positive outcome.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Pregnant women who use heroin are often prescribed an alternative drug such as methadone, a synthetic opiate. Methadone can be taken orally once daily and is long- acting, providing consistent blood levels to decrease the adverse fetal effects of wide swings in blood levels found with heroin use. Methadone also reduces the risk of infections from contaminated needles and drug-seeking behavior, such as prostitution. At therapeutic levels, it does not produce the euphoria or sedation of heroin and allows the woman to have a relatively normal lifestyle. The woman who receives a daily dose of methadone in a drug treatment program is more likely to receive prenatal care. However, the newborn must withdraw from methadone after birth.

kamilo84

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

pangili4

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library