This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What should the nurse explain when responding to the question, Will I produce enough milk for my ... (Read 8 times)

maychende

What should the nurse explain when responding to the question, Will I produce enough milk for my baby as she grows and needs more milk at each feeding?

a. Early addition of baby food will meet the infant's needs.
  b. The breast milk will gradually become richer to supply additional calories.
  c. As the infant requires more milk, feedings can be supplemented with cow's milk.
  d. The mother's milk supply will increase as the infant demands more at each feeding.

Question 2

A new mother is concerned because her 1-day-old newborn is taking only 1 oz at each feeding. What should the nurse explain?

a. The infant is probably having difficulty adjusting to the formula.
  b. An infant does not require as much formula in the first few days of life.
  c. The infant's stomach capacity is small at birth but will expand within a few days.
  d. The infant tires easily during the first few days but will gradually take more formula.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Rilsmarie951

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The amount of milk produced depends on the amount of stimulation of the breast. Increased demand with more frequent and longer breastfeeding sessions results in more milk available for the infant. Solids should not be added until about 4 to 6 months, when the infant's immune system is more mature. This will decrease the chance of allergy formations. Mature breast milk will stay the same. The amounts will increase as the infant feeds for longer times. Supplementation will decrease the amount of stimulation of the breast and decrease the milk production.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The infant's stomach capacity at birth is 10 to 20 mL and increases to 30 to 90 mL by the end of the first week. There are other symptoms if there is a formula intolerance. The infant's requirements are the same, but the stomach capacity needs to increase before taking in adequate amounts. The infant's sleep patterns do change, but the infant should be awake enough to feed.

maychende

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Gracias!

LegendaryAnswers

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library