Author Question: The nurse is teaching the parents of a 1-month-old infant with developmental dysplasia of the hip ... (Read 102 times)

Chelseaamend

The nurse is teaching the parents of a 1-month-old infant with developmental dysplasia of the hip about preventing skin breakdown under the Pavlik harness. What statement by the parent would indicate a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I should gently massage the skin under the straps once a day to stimulate circulation.
  b. I will apply a lotion for sensitive skin under the straps after my baby has been given a bath to prevent skin irritation.
  c. I should remove the harness several times a day to prevent contractures.
  d. I will place the diaper over the harness, preferably using a superabsorbent disposable diaper that is relatively thin.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching the parent of a 4-year-old child with a cast on the arm about care at home. What statement by the parent indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I should have the affected limb hang in a dependent position.
  b. I will use an ice pack to relieve the itching.
  c. I should avoid keeping the injured arm elevated.
  d. I will expect the fingers to be swollen for the next 3 days.

reversalruiz

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
To prevent skin breakdown with an infant who has developmental dysplasia of the hip and is in a Pavlik harness, the parent should gently massage the skin under the straps once a day to stimulate circulation. The parent should not apply lotions or powder because this could irritate the skin. The parent should not remove the harness, except during a bath, and should place the diaper under the straps.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Teaching the parent to use an ice pack to relieve the itching is an important aspect when planning discharge for a child with a cast. The affected limb should not be allowed to hang in a dependent position for more than 30 minutes. The affected arm should be kept elevated as much as possible. If there is swelling or redness of the fingers, the parent should notify the health care provider.