Author Question: A hospice nurse is working with the family of a child who has died. Which statement by the parent ... (Read 19 times)

fagboi

A hospice nurse is working with the family of a child who has died. Which statement by the parent indicates that further action by the nurse is needed?

A.
  I have not been able to function at work since my son died.
  B.
  Some days I wonder if I could have done anything differently.
  C.
  There are times when I still get so angry that this happened.
  D.
  You know, I have had some pretty good days recently.

Question 2

A nurse wants to participate in community service by providing education on the leading causes of death for various age groups coupled with appropriate preventative measures. When discussing deaths in teenagers, which topic does the nurse focus prevention

A.
  Appropriate prenatal care
  B.
  Exposure to carcinogens
  C.
  Genetic testing
  D.
  Violence and injury prevention

kalskdjl1212

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Kbler-Ross identified five stages of grief: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. People do not go through these stages in a linear fashion. It is important also for the nurse to understand that people will have good days and bad days, no matter what stage of grief they are in. However, in each stage, there are warning signs that indicate further action should occur. The inability to function normally is one of these warning signs, and the nurse should ensure the parent has appropriate follow-up.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The leading causes of death in adolescents are accidents, homicide, suicide, and cancer. Preventative measures directed toward violence and injury prevention would have the greatest impact. Prenatal care and genetic testing would most affect the death rate in infants, the leading causes of which are prematurity and congenital defects. Decreasing exposure to carcinogens might have the greatest impact on school-age children, in whom the most frequent cause of death is cancer and accidents.