This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has educated parents on administration of iron to their child. What statement by the ... (Read 18 times)

SGallaher96

The nurse has educated parents on administration of iron to their child. What statement by the parents indicates a need for further instruction?

A.
  I will call the doctor right away if my child has black, tarry stools.
  B.
  It is best if the iron is taken on an empty stomach or with orange juice.
  C.
  Rinsing the mouth after taking iron will prevent staining the teeth.
  D.
  We will have our child drink the iron preparation through a straw.

Question 2

A child presents to the emergency department with sickle cell crisis. Which intervention does the nurse perform first?

A.
  Administer oxygen.
  B.
  Assess and treat pain.
  C.
  Provide warm blankets.
  D.
  Start IV fluids.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tofugiraffe

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Black, tarry stools are a common side effect of iron and the parents need not call the provider. The other statements show good understanding of iron and its administration.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
All interventions are appropriate for this child. However, airway and breathing come first, so the nurse administers oxygen then starts an IV.

SGallaher96

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Wow, this really help

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library