This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A student in a perinatal clinic asks the clinic nurse what an incomplete abortion is. Which response ... (Read 59 times)

@Brianna17

A student in a perinatal clinic asks the clinic nurse what an incomplete abortion is. Which response by the nurse is best?

A.
  Complete loss of all products of conception before 20 weeks' gestation
  B.
  Fetal death before 20 weeks with retention of all products of conception
  C.
  Loss of some, but not all, products of conception before 20 weeks
  D.
  When the patient initiates an abortion, but then stops the procedure

Question 2

A woman who recently had a miscarriage is in the clinic for follow-up. She sees the diagnosis spontaneous abortion on her chart and becomes visibly upset, stating, I did not have an abortion Which response by the nurse is best?

A.
  Don't be upset; that is just a medical term used commonly.
  B.
  I can come back and talk to you when you are not so upset.
  C.
  I see you are upset. Does it help to know this means miscarriage?
  D.
  No one is accusing you of having an abortion.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nguyenhoanhat

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
An incomplete abortion is the expulsion of some, but not all, products of conception prior to 20 weeks. Fetal death with retention of all products of conception prior to 20 weeks is called a missed abortion. Complete expulsion of all products of conception before 20 weeks is a complete spontaneous abortion. If a patient chooses to have an abortion, it is termed an elective abortion.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The term spontaneous abortion is the medical term for miscarriage before 20 weeks' gestation. Medical terms are often confusing to laypeople, and it is the nurse's duty to inform patients of their meaning. Nurses should also be aware that the term abortion is politically and emotionally laden, so it should not be surprising that an uninformed layperson might become upset at its use. The nurse should acknowledge the woman's feelings and explain the term. Telling the woman not to be upset is paternalistic and does nothing to educate her. Offering to come back later would be a useful option after the nurse has acknowledged the woman's feelings and discovered that she does not want to talk right now; otherwise, this statement might seem like rejection. Stating that no one is accusing the woman of having an abortion is defensive.

@Brianna17

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kswal303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library