This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Why does the nurse instruct an 11-year-old diabetic child to use the side of the finger for blood ... (Read 15 times)

madam-professor

Why does the nurse instruct an 11-year-old diabetic child to use the side of the finger for blood testing?

a. It has fewer capillaries.
  b. It is easier to puncture.
  c. It is less likely to become infected.
  d. It has fewer nerve endings.

Question 2

The nurse discussed treatment of hypoglycemia with an adolescent. Which statement by the adolescent leads the nurse to determine the patient understood the instructions?

a. When my blood glucose is low or if I begin to feel hungry and weak, I will eat six LifeSavers.
  b. When my blood glucose is low or if I begin to feel hungry and weak, I will give myself Lispro insulin.
  c. When my blood glucose is low or if I begin to feel hungry and weak, I will have a slice of cheese.
  d. When my blood glucose is low or if I begin to feel hungry and weak, I will drink a diet soda.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jasonq

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The sides of the finger have fewer nerve endings and more capillaries but are not easier to puncture than the fingertip. The risk for infection is remote for either site.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The immediate treatment of hypoglycemia consists of administering sugar in some form such as orange juice, hard candy, or a commercial product. Cheese will eventually raise the blood glucose, but not as quickly as candy.

madam-professor

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Gracias!

dantucker

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library