Author Question: What statement by a parent leads the nurse to determine a parent is administering levothyroxine ... (Read 73 times)

piesebel

What statement by a parent leads the nurse to determine a parent is administering levothyroxine (Synthroid) correctly?

a. I stopped giving the medication because my daughter was losing her hair.
  b. I am using a different brand now because it costs less money.
  c. I don't give the medication on the weekends.
  d. I give the medication at 8:00 AM every day.

Question 2

What would be the most appropriate nursing response to a woman who says, My sister had a child with Tay-Sachs disease, and I want to know if I could have a child with this condition?

a. The disease is rare. It is unlikely that you would have a child with Tay-Sachs disease.
  b. A screening test can be done to determine if you are a carrier of the gene.
  c. The gene for Tay-Sachs disease is transmitted by the father.
  d. The cause of Tay-Sachs disease is thought to be an autoimmune response to a virus.

Tabitha_2016

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Synthroid should be given at the same time each day, preferably in the morning.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Carriers can be identified by screening tests. Tay-Sachs disease has an autosomal recessive pattern of transmission.