Author Question: Which statement made by a 7-year-old child with type 1 diabetes mellitus indicates a need for more ... (Read 18 times)

sammy

Which statement made by a 7-year-old child with type 1 diabetes mellitus indicates a need for more teaching?

a. My pancreas is sick and needs insulin until it is well.
  b. I will need to take my insulin every day.
  c. I need to keep a piece of candy in my pocket in case I start to feel shaky.
  d. My mom has to give me insulin shots twice a day.

Question 2

A child with diabetes is brought to the emergency department. He is flushed and drowsy, and his skin is dry. His father states that the child has been feeling progressively worse since the morning. What is this child most likely experiencing?

a. Somogyi phenomenon
  b. Dawn syndrome
  c. Ketoacidosis
  d. Water intoxication

britb2u

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The child with type 1 diabetes mellitus has an insulin deficiency and will require lifelong management of this disease. Insulin does not cure the pancreas.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
In ketoacidosis, the child's skin is dry, and the face is flushed. Patients appear dehydrated. They may perspire and be restless. The breath has a fruity odor, and there is no rest period between inspiration and expiration.