Author Question: A mother reports that she has a new job and her 12-year-old child is home alone for a time after ... (Read 16 times)

iveyjurea

A mother reports that she has a new job and her 12-year-old child is home alone for a time after school. Which statement made by the parent alerts the nurse to a potentially unsafe situation for this child?

a. I told him that he could invite a few friends after school.
  b. I put a list of emergency numbers next to the telephone.
  c. Last week we made a first aid kit together.
  d. There is a neighbor available in case of an emergency.

Question 2

When asked about her activities, a 10-year-old girl responded, I like school. I play the flute in the school band, and I take tennis lessons. What does the nurse know these activities will help this child develop?

a. Initiative
  b. Industry
  c. Identity
  d. Intimacy

k2629

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Latchkey children are subject to a higher rate of accidents. Permitting school-age children and their friends to be home alone in an unsupervised environment is an unsafe situation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The school-age period is referred to by Erikson as the stage of industry. Successful participation in activities facilitates the child's sense of industry.