Author Question: Three weeks after delivering her first child, a woman tells the nurse, I waited so long for this ... (Read 40 times)

xclash

Three weeks after delivering her first child, a woman tells the nurse, I waited so long for this baby and now that she is here, I can't believe how different my life is from what I expected. What is the best nursing response to the woman's statement?

a. How is your partner adjusting to the change?
  b. I hear this from a lot of first-time mothers.
  c. Have you told anyone else about your feelings?
  d. Tell me how things are different.

Question 2

What is the best response to a postpartum woman who tells the nurse she feels tired and sick all of the time since I had the baby 3 months ago?

a. This is a normal response for the body after pregnancy. Try to get more rest.
  b. I'll bet you will snap out of this funk real soon.
  c. Why don't you arrange for a babysitter so you and your husband can have a night out?
  d. Let's talk about this further. I am concerned about how you are feeling.

katieost

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The nurse may help the woman by being a sympathetic listener. The nurse should elicit the new mother's feelings about motherhood and her infant.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
If a postpartum woman seems depressed, it is important to explore her feelings to determine if they are persistent and pervasive.