This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a woman of Middle Eastern descent on the first postpartum day. Education is ... (Read 61 times)

student77

The nurse is caring for a woman of Middle Eastern descent on the first postpartum day. Education is provided regarding instruction on use of a sitz bath. What documentation best indicates that the woman has understood the provided instruction?

a. Patient correctly performed return demonstration.
  b. Patient indicated understanding by nodding head with instruction.
  c. Patient verbalizes I understand.
  d. Family member indicates patient understands procedure.

Question 2

A woman has given birth to an unresponsive newborn that NICU staff are attempting to revive. The patient and her husband are grief stricken and request the child be baptized immediately. What is the nurse's most appropriate action?

a. Contact the hospital chaplain.
  b. Request the couple's clergy.
  c. Baptize the newborn.
  d. Ask the physician to baptize the newborn.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

zacnyjessica

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The nurse may need an interpreter to understand and provide optimal care to the woman and her family. If possible, when discussing sensitive information the interpreter should not be a family member, who might interpret selectively. The interpreter should not be of a group that is in social or religious conflict with the patient and her family, an issue that might arise in many Middle Eastern cultures. It is also important to remember that an affirmative nod from the woman may be a sign of courtesy to the nurse rather than a sign of understanding or agreement.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
If the condition of a newborn is poor, the parents may wish to have a baptism performed. The minister or priest is notified. However this is an emergency, so the nurse may perform the baptism by pouring water on the infant's forehead while saying, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. If there is any doubt as to whether the infant is alive, the baptism is given conditionally: If you are capable of receiving baptism, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. The physician is attending to the patient's immediate health needs.

student77

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library