This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman requests a pudendal block to manage her labor pain. What statement by the woman indicates a ... (Read 45 times)

storky111

A woman requests a pudendal block to manage her labor pain. What statement by the woman indicates a need for further explanation about the pudendal block?

a. I'm having a contraction. Can I get the pudendal block now?
  b. I'll get the pudendal block right before I deliver.
  c. The nurse midwife will insert the needles into my vagina.
  d. It takes a few minutes after the medicine is administered to make me feel numb.

Question 2

The nurse who encourages the gate control theory of pain control would advise a woman in labor and her partner to use which nonpharmacological method of pain management?

a. Slow abdominal breathing
  b. Guided relaxation
  c. Listening to music
  d. Massage

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joewallace

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The pudendal block does not block pain from contractions and is given just before birth.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
According to the gate control theory, stimulating large-diameter nerve fibers temporarily interferes with conduction of impulses through small-diameter fibers. Massage is a technique that stimulates large-diameter fibers and closes the gate.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library