Author Question: A mother asks the nurse, When will I know my child has entered puberty? What will the nurse state ... (Read 19 times)

laurencescou

A mother asks the nurse, When will I know my child has entered puberty? What will the nurse state based on an understanding of changes associated with puberty?

a. Your daughter will have her first period.
  b. You'll recognize puberty by the mood swings.
  c. The child becomes interested in the opposite sex.
  d. Secondary sex characteristics, such as pubic hair, appear.

Question 2

The nurse has explained menstruation to a 13-year-old girl. What statement indicates the girl needs additional education?

a. Periods last about 5 days.
  b. My cycle should get regular in 6 months.
  c. I should expect heavy bleeding with clots.
  d. Periods come about every 4 weeks.

anyusername12131

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Puberty begins when the secondary sex characteristics appear. Puberty ends when mature sperm are formed in the male and when regular menstrual cycles occur in the female.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Clots are not normally seen in menstrual discharge. A normal menstrual flow is 30 to 40 mL blood and 30 to 50 mL serous fluid.