Author Question: Customers may view similar companies as interchangeable. a. True b. False Indicate whether the ... (Read 58 times)

kaid0807

Customers may view similar companies as interchangeable.
 a. True
  b. False
 Indicate whether the statement is true or false

Question 2

Compare and contrast Type I errors and Type II errors and explain which one is of more concern to researchers.

yuyiding

Answer to Question 1

True

Answer to Question 2

Hypothesis testing using sample observations is based on probability theory. Because we cannot make any statement about a sample with complete certainty, there is always the chance that an error will be made. The researcher using sampling runs the risk of committing two types of errors. A Type I error occurs when a condition that is true in the population is rejected based on statistical observations. When a researcher sets an acceptable significance level a priori (), he or she is determining how much tolerance he or she has for a Type I error. When testing for relationships, a Type I error occurs when the researcher concludes a relationship exists when in fact one does not exist. A Type II error is the probability of failing to reject a false null hypothesis. Alternatively, one can think of this as failing to identify a hypothesized difference using a sample result when one really does exist in the population. This incorrect decision is called beta (), Type I errors generally are considered more serious than Type II errors. Thus, more emphasis is placed on determining the significance level, , than in determining