This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: You have obtained data on test scores and student-teacher ratios in region A and region B of your ... (Read 68 times)

nummyann

You have obtained data on test scores and student-teacher ratios in region A and region B of your state. Region B, on average, has lower student-teacher ratios than region A. You decide to run the following regression.

Yi = 0+ 1X1i + 2X2i + 3X3i+ui

where X1 is the class size in region A, X2 is the difference between the class size between region A and B, and X3 is the class size in region B. Your regression package shows a message indicating that it cannot estimate the above equation. What is the problem here and how can it be fixed? Explain the problem in terms of the rank of the X matrix.
  What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

All of the following are good reasons for an applied econometrician to learn some econometric theory, with the exception of

A) turning your statistical software from a black box into a flexible toolkit from which you are able to select the right tool for a given job.
  B) understanding econometric theory lets you appreciate why these tools work and what assumptions are required for each tool to work properly.
  C) learning how to invert a 44 matrix by hand.
  D) helping you recognize when a tool will not work well in an application and when it is time for you to look for a different econometric approach.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tranoy

Answer to Question 1

Answer: There is perfect multicollinearity here, in that X2 = X1-X3, hence the X matrix (and the X'X) matrix does not have full rank (rank = 3 here, not 4). If the X'X is singular, you cannot invert it, since its determinant is zero. Dropping one of the three explanatory variables allows you to estimate the above equation.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C

nummyann

Reply 2 on: Jun 29, 2018
:D TYSM

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library