This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A consumer has the following utility function for goods X and Y: U(X,Y) = 5XY3 + 10 The consumer ... (Read 35 times)

nevelica

A consumer has the following utility function for goods X and Y: U(X,Y) = 5XY3 + 10

The consumer faces prices of goods X and Y given by px and py and has an income given by I.
  a. Write out the Lagrangian expression for the consumer's utility maximization problem.
  b. Write out the first order conditions necessary for maximizing utility subject to the budget constraint.
  c. Show that the first order conditions imply the budget constraint and MRS condition. Provide the economic (i.e. non-mathematical) interpretation of these conditions  specifically, why are they necessary for the consumer to be at the optimal bundle?
  d. Solve for the Demand Equations, X(px,py,I) and Y(px,py,I)
  e. Show that the demand equations are homogeneous of degree zero. That is, show
   X(cpx,cpy,cI) = X(px,py,I)
   for any positive constant, c.

Question 2

Using the Internal Rate of Return approach to investment, one would undertake an investment if the internal rate of return

A) equals zero.
  B) equals the interest rate.
  C) exceeds the interest rate.
  D) is less than the interest rate.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ddddd

Answer to Question 1

a. L = 5XY3 + 10 + I  pxX  pyY
b. The necessary conditions are
L/X = 5Y3  px = 0
L/Y = 15XY2  py = 0
L/ = I - pxX - pyY = 0
c. The first two conditions together become:
Y/3X = px / py
The left-hand side of this is the MRS, or slope of the indifference curve. The right-hand side is the slope of the budget constraint. These must be equal or the consumer will benefit by giving up more of one of the goods for less of the other. The third condition says that the optimal bundle must lie on the BC, which must occur because more is better.
d. Solve to get:
X(px,py,I) = I/4px
Y(px,py,I) = 3I/4py
e. Simply plug into demand equations:
X(cpx,cpy,cI) = cI/(3cpx) = I/3px = X(px,py,I)

Answer to Question 2

C

Ddddd

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library