Author Question: You are working with a OEC Technician candidate in the first-aid room at the local ski patrol. The ... (Read 26 times)

jerry coleman

You are working with a OEC Technician candidate in the first-aid room at the local ski patrol. The candidate asks why you would decide to call for ALS transport rather than BLS. Which of the following statements would be an appropriate response?

a. I always prefer to call ALS just in case something goes wrong.
  b. ALS can give pain medication, so it should be called for every patient who is complaining of pain.
  c. If I have any concerns about the patient's ABCDs, I will call for ALS.
  d. ALS can give IV dextrose, so I call for it for every diabetic patient regardless of the nature of the problem.

Question 2

You are caring for a 37-year-old patient and are trying to determine if you might need an ALS provider to initiate intravenous therapy. From your OEC training, you recall that IV therapy is typically used for patients with:

a. ankle sprains.
  b. diabetes and severe dehydration.
  c. minor lacerations and facial contusions.
  d. cold symptoms and mild diarrhea.

medine

Answer to Question 1

Answer: c

Answer to Question 2

Answer: b