Author Question: A 67-year-old female complains of severe left lower leg pain. She states that she was walking across ... (Read 51 times)

hubes95

A 67-year-old female complains of severe left lower leg pain. She states that she was walking across the room when she suddenly heard a crack and felt excruciating pain in her leg. Her left tibia appears to be deformed and ecchymotic, as well as tender on palpation. Her vital signs are: pulse 96, respirations 28, blood pressure 168/74, and SpO2 98. Additionally, she states that her doctor told her that the steroids she takes can weaken her bones, placing her at greater risk for fractures. Appropriate care for this patient would include:

A) high-concentration oxygen by mask.
  B) full immobilization to the long board.
  C) direct pressure to the area of injury.
  D) application of a splint to the leg.

Question 2

A heavy dresser fell onto a 76-year-old's foot as he attempted to move it across his bedroom floor. His right foot and ankle are bruised, but he is refusing treatment or transport since it does not hurt. Which of the following statements made by the patient would be most concerning and warrant contact with medical command for further advisement?

A) I have a history of congestive heart failure.
  B) I was recently diagnosed with cataracts.
  C) I have been told I have peripheral neuropathy.
  D) I fell and broke my left ankle last year.

ebonylittles

Answer to Question 1

D

Answer to Question 2

C