Author Question: An alert and oriented worker had his right thigh pinned between the bumpers of two trucks. ... (Read 91 times)

Arii_bell

An alert and oriented worker had his right thigh pinned between the bumpers of two trucks. Assessment findings include deformity and swelling to the right hip area and mid-thigh, along with ecchymosis and swelling to the right knee. The patient complains of excruciating pain to the right leg. Which one of the following instructions given to other EMTs on the scene would be appropriate?

A) Let's put his leg in the traction splint to help align the femur and reduce pain.
  B) Check for a pedal pulse and then carefully move him to the stretcher for transport.
  C) We need to wrap the right leg in a pressure dressing and then elevate it for transport.
  D) Let's immobilize him to the long spine board and then transport him to the hospital.

Question 2

Which one of the following statements made by the EMT shows an understanding of dressing and bandaging a wound?

A) When applying a bandage over a dressing, I apply it loosely so as not to interfere with circulation to the extremity.
  B) If bleeding from a wound cannot be initially stopped with direct pressure, I apply a bandage and dressing so I can take care of other injuries.
  C) I always leave the tips of the fingers or toes exposed when bandaging the arm or leg so future assessment of circulation can be made.
  D) I always bandage across the joint above the wound since this helps control bleeding by applying pressure to the proximal blood vessels.

nicoleclaire22

Answer to Question 1

D

Answer to Question 2

C