This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In which columns of a work sheet would the adjusted balance of Accumulated Depreciation appear? a. ... (Read 52 times)

stevenposner

In which columns of a work sheet would the adjusted balance of Accumulated Depreciation appear?
 a. Adjusted Trial Balance Credit, Balance Sheet Debit
  b. Adjusted Trial Balance Credit, Balance Sheet Credit
  c. Adjusted Trial Balance Credit, Income Statement Credit
  d. Adjusted Trial Balance Debit, Balance Sheet Debit
  e. Trial Balance Debit, Adjusted Trial Balance Debit

Question 2

Human Aspects of Budgeting in a Service Firm

Vidal Sanson owns three upscale hair salons: Bristles I, II, and III. Each of the salons has a manager and 10 stylists who rent space in the salons as independent contractors and who pay a fee of 10 of each week's revenue to the salon as rent. In exchange they get to use the facility and utilities, but must bring their own equipment.
   The manager of each salon schedules each customer appointment to last an hour and then allows the stylist 10 minutes between appointments to clean up, rest, and prepare for the next appointment. The salons are open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., so each stylist can serve seven customers per day. Stylists each work 5 days a week on a staggered schedule, so the salon is open 7 days a week. Everyone works on Saturdays, but some stylists have Sunday and Monday off, some have Tuesday and Wednesday off, and some have Thursday and Friday off.
   Vidal Sanson knows that utility costs are rising. Vidal wants to increase revenues to cover at least some part of rising utility costs, so Vidal tells each of the managers to find a way to increase productivity in the salons so that the stylists will pay more to the salons. Vidal does not want to increase the rental fee above 10 of revenue for fear the stylists will leave. And each salon has only 10 stations, so Vidal feels each salon cannot hire more than 10 full-time stylists.
   The manager of Bristles I attacks the problem by simply telling the stylists that, from now on, customers will be scheduled for 40-minute appointments and breaks will be 5 minutes. This will allow each stylist to add one more customer per day.
   The manager of Bristles II asks the stylists on a voluntary basis to work one extra hour per day, from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., to add an additional customer per stylist per day.
   The manager of Bristles III sits down with the stylists and discusses the issue. After considering shortening the appointment and break times or lengthening the hours of operation, one of the stylists says, I know we rent stations in your store, but I am willing to share my station. You could hire another stylist who will simply work at whatever station is vacant during our days off. Since we use our own equipment, this will not be a problem for me as long as there is a secure place I can leave my equipment on my days off. Most of the other stylists agree that this is a good solution.

Required:
  1. Which manager's style do you think is most effective? Why?
  2. How do you think the stylists will react to the managers of salons I and II? If the stylists are displeased, how can they indicate their displeasure?
  3. In Bristles III, if the stylists did not want to share their stations with another party, how else could they find a way to increase revenues?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ally

Answer to Question 1

B

Answer to Question 2

1. The manager of Bristles III has the best style because this manager is involving the workers in a decision that directly affects their work.

2. The workers will most likely be upset or even angry with the manager of Bristles I. The manager is not a stylist and yet is changing the schedule for the stylists, assuming they can work faster and need less rest between customers, without discussing this change with them or asking for input or suggestions.

To indicate displeasure, the stylists at Bristles I could quit, or they could perform a work slowdown. This means that the manager will schedule a customer for a 40 minute appointment, but the stylist will spend more than 40 minutes with each customer anyway. The result is that the appointments will get backed up, some customers may not get served, and overall the customers will be unhappy.

Most of the workers in Bristles II are not likely to volunteer to work an extra hour a day. Although it would mean additional revenue for each stylist, it will make each work day longer, and the idea was not presented to the workers in a way that appears beneficial to the workers.

To indicate displeasure with this plan, the stylist will simply not volunteer to work an extra hour a day.

3. Of course the manager of Bristles III could implement one of the plans of the other salons. That is, workers could shorten their appointment times per customer, or lengthen their work days, or a combination of both. Alternately, workers could work six days per week rather than five. However, in the case of Bristles III, the manager has invited the stylists to help solve the problem rather than the manager telling them what changes to make, so they will be more likely to agree to make changes because they are involved in the decision.

Other things they may do:
 The manager may let individual stylists set their own schedules. It is possible that not all customers need an hour each, and the stylists can individually book customers in a way that works in an extra customer per day.
 They could agree to shorter breaks.
 They could implement a monthly contest to see who can service the most customers (but still have satisfied customers) and earn rewards, including:
o A name on a plaque for employee of the month (virtually no cost to the salon)
o Gift certificates to local businesses (low cost to the salon)
o Reduction in one month's rental revenue (some cost to the salon, depending on the amount of the reduction)
o If the salon is in an area where parking is hard to find or costly, a month of free parking or an assigned parking space

stevenposner

Reply 2 on: Jul 6, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

softEldritch

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Pope Sylvester II tried to introduce Arabic numbers into Europe between the years 999 and 1003, but their use did not catch on for a few more centuries, and Roman numerals continued to be the primary number system.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library