Author Question: How would you solve this mathematical problem? (Read 1327 times)

aero

Solve by using the quadratic formula. Give your answers in simplest radical form. Give both real and imaginary roots.

4/z = 3z/z-3

I have a lot of problems that are just like the one about but I just don't know how to go about solving them.

go.lag

4/z = 0
No solution

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

You need to use the quadratic formula, so you need to get a quadratic function out of what you're given.

4 = 3z^2/(z-3)

4(z-3) = 3z^2

4z-12=3z^2

Then rearrange by subtracting 4z and adding 12, which leaves you:

3z^2-4z+12=0

Then plug into the quadratic formula, with 3=a, -4=b, and 12=c.

I included a link for the quadratic formula in case you don't know it.

Best of luck! :D

ricki

If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = (3z/z)-3} = 3-3 = 0 then no solution.
If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = 3z/(z-3) then  z = 0.66 +/-j1.89  where j^2 = -1

I believe you mean by:
4/z = 3z/(z-3) instead of  4/z = 3z/z-3
If so, then
work;
4/z = 3z/(z-3) or
3z^2 -4z+12 = 0
comparing to the eq. ax^2+bx+c or x = {-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac} / 2a.  we get:
z = {4 +/-sqrt(16-144)} / 6
= {4 +/-sqrt(-128)}/6 = 4/6 +/-(j11.31)/6....:where j^2 = -1
z = 0.66 +/-j1.89

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library