This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In its early years, the Internet was a military project that became a science project with funding ... (Read 104 times)

folubunmi

In its early years, the Internet was a military project that became a science project with funding from the National Science Foundation. In one or two paragraphs, describe its transition to an environment that allowed and supported commercial activity.

Question 2

What is the difference between an internet (small i) and the Internet (capital I)?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

zhanghao

Answer to Question 1

In the early 1960s, the U.S. Department of Defense began examining ways to connect computers to each other and to weapons installations distributed all over the world. Employing many of the best communications technology researchers, the Defense Department funded research at leading universities and institutes. The goal of this research was to design a worldwide network that could remain operational, even if parts of the network were destroyed by enemy military action or sabotage. In 1969, Defense Department researchers in the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) used this direct connection network model to connect four computersone each at the University of California at Los Angeles, SRI International, the University of California at Santa Barbara, and the University of Utahinto a network called the ARPANET. The ARPANET was the earliest of the networks that eventually combined to become what we now call the Internet.

E-mail was born in 1972 when Ray Tomlinson, a researcher who used the network, wrote a program that could send and receive messages over the network. This new method of communicating became widely used very quickly. As personal computers became more powerful, affordable, and available during the 1980s, companies increasingly used them to construct their own internal networks. Although these networks included e-mail software that employees could use to send messages to each other, businesses wanted their employees to be able to communicate with people outside their corporate networks.
In 1989, the NSF permitted two commercial e-mail services (MCI Mail and
CompuServe) to establish limited connections to the Internet for the sole purpose of exchanging e-mail transmissions with users of the Internet. These connections allowed commercial enterprises to send e-mail directly to Internet addresses, and allowed members of the research and education communities on the Internet to send e-mail directly to MCI Mail and CompuServe addresses.

Answer to Question 2

An internet (small i) is a group of computer networks that have been interconnected. In fact, internet is short for interconnected network. One particular internet, which uses a specific set of rules and connects networks all over the world to each other, is called the Internet (capital I). Networks of computers and the Internet that connects them to each other form the basic technological structure that underlies virtually all electronic commerce.

folubunmi

Reply 2 on: Jul 7, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

robbielu01

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library